What to Expect on the First Day
- Before arrival, students must use the Screening Questionnaire to decide if they should attend school. This must be completed on a daily basis.
- Upon arrival, students will enter the building via one of the three designated entrances based on surname. Masks must be worn upon entering the building. Students will sanitize their hands and go directly to their Academic Advisor’s Classroom. Social distancing will be promoted in the corridors.
- The morning session will involve discussions around living with Covid-19 at GC. Such topics will include expectations, behaviours, routines, and new norms as we prepare to establish a safe environment for everyone at GC.
- Students will remain in their Academic Advisor’s Classroom during Recess and Lunch. Students are asked to bring their own lunch, as there will be no cafeteria services or microwaves.
- The afternoon session will involve students working with their Academic Advisors. They will ask questions about the courses they are currently registered for, how to request a Drop & Add Form, etc. Students will also create their 3 year plans ensuring they are fulfilling the Graduation Requirements as outlined by the Department of Education.
- At the end of the day, students will exit the building via the same doors as their assigned entrances, with staggered dismissal times.
Daily Routine at GC
- Upon arrival, students will enter the building via one of the three designated entrances based on surname. Students will sanitize their hands and will be directed to their lockers to remove coats, outdoor footwear, etc., grab all materials required for the first two (2) classes and head directly to their first classroom, in a timely fashion. There will not be any congregating in the hallways or other common areas of the school.
- Students will return to their lockers at recess to get materials required for period 3 in a timely fashion and then proceed immediately to their period 3 class where they will eat recess. Social distancing will be promoted in the corridors.
- At lunchtime students will go to their lockers to get their lunch and supplies for period 4 and 5. They will then immediately proceed to their period 4 class to eat lunch. Social distancing will be promoted in the corridors.
- Students who wish to leave the building at recess and lunch may do so, but must only use the main/front entrance for exiting and re-entering the building. Students will hand santitize upon exiting and re-entering the building.
- Students will be dismissed at staggered times at the end of the day. One group will be dismissed at 2:05, while the second will be dismissed at 2:12. Groups will alternate week by week. Students will sanitize their hands and will exit the building via the same doors as their assigned entrances. Social distancing will be promoted in the corridors.
Flow of Traffic Within the Building
- A loop system for movement upstairs and downstairs will be implemented.
- Everyone will go upstairs using the stairwell adjacent to Mr. Butt’s room (Room 103) and come downstairs using the stairwell by the Computer Lab (Room 210). These stairwells will be one-way traffic only. Social distancing will be promoted in the corridors.
- Two way traffic will be allowed in the corridors, with students walking on the right hand side in a single line. Social distancing will be promoted in the corridors.
The Use of Masks
- The wearing of masks is mandatory in all common areas of the building (e.g.,corridors, exits/entrances, washrooms)
- Because cohorting at Senior High is not achievable, the wearing of masks in the classroom will be mandatory in classrooms where one (1) metre face-to-face distancing cannot be maintained.
- For social distancing reasons, no more than two (2) occupants are permitted in the washrooms at any given time.
Water Bottle Use
- Students will use and be able to refill their personal water bottles throughout the day. Drinking directly from the water fountains is prohibited.